TRANSGENDERS AND TRANSSEXUALS - OUT OF OUR MILITARY?
Updated on 7/31/2017.
In 2016 Obama removed the ban on transgender military service. His Secretary of Defense Ash Carter argued at the time that it “must have access to 100 percent of America’s population for its all-volunteer force to be able to recruit from among the most highly qualified, and to retain them.” On July 26, 2017 President Trump tweeted an end to that policy - arguing that letting them serve in the military would be too disruptive and costly, because they would require special care for trans-related medical issues. On Figure 1 the axis term is a transliteration of TRANSSEXUAL. OBAMA is at the same absolute skip. BARACK is a skip -1 starting at the backside of the axis term. FOR/TO THE ARMY is twice in the open text. All that is in 666 letters. When the matrix is expanded to 855 letters MILLEY shares a letter lamed with the last letter in TRANSSEXUAL. General Milley, Army Chief of Staff, announced in July 27, 2017 that, "We will work through the implementation guidance when we get it, and then, we will move from there." He said the transgender integration effort started last year has not been completely smooth. Last month service chiefs requested Secretary of Defense Matttis to delay plans for transgender recruiting by six months.
Figure 1 above: As is indicated by the spreadsheet below, unless we provide for the fact that MILLEY shares a letter lamed with TRANSSEXUAL, the significant match is only of OBAMA, BARACK and FOR/TO THE ARMY with TRANSSEXUAL. All of these terms are at spedial case skips of +/- 1 or the absolute skip of the axis term). MILLEY is not at a special case skip.
STATISTICAL SIGNIFICANCE OF FIGURE 1. As per my usual protocol, no statistical significance is assigned to the axis term, here TRANSSEXUAL at its lowest skip. I was not able to find transgender at an ELS, so transsexual was the next logical choice to look for. Later in this article we will look at how these and associated terms are defined, how the Torah treats their behavior, and at the economic and moral consequences of allowing these people to serve on active duty.
With respect to the statistical significance of a priori terms shown on the matrix, the spreadsheet shown above indicates that it was not worth expanding the matrix to include MILLEY. One the full 885-letter matrix there was about a 58% chance that the general's name would appear somewhere at a non-special case skip. So we will focus on the 666-letter matrix with the white background. On it OBAMA is at skip -1. Odds against it appearing at a special case skip were about 458 to 1. This is another matrix where Obama is strongly encoded with what the Bible sees as perversion. Note if we include 885-letters in the calculation (that is, if we include terms with a gray background) the odds against finding such an ELS of Obama are reduced to about 344.9 to 1. BARACK is a skip -1, but the name (only 3 letters in Hebrew) had a 51.9% chance to be at a special case skip. FOR/TO THE ARMY is twice in the open text, but the Poisson Equation used on my spreadsheet only offers the odds against it appearing at least once. As such, it was found against odds of about 10.24 to 1. The Hebrew word for ARMY is the same as military. Overall, the matrix with the white background was found against odds of about 9,044 to 1. These odds decreased to 7,796 to 1 if we include MILLEY, which is why we need the spreadsheet to evaluate how far to expand the matrix.
A few final notes about this matrix:
(1) There was a question about whether or not the double S in TRANSSEXUAL should be reflected in the Hebrew. It's not used here, but the general rule in Hebrew spelling is that double consonants like S are not used in Hebrew. There is an exception for the name Issachar, but it's a rare exception. Significant axis terms are generally about 8 letters long. This spelling is 9 letters. Finds of 10 or more letters are very rare.
Figure 2 - The Code has a matrix that hints of transgender issues for Michelle Obama, but it might only indicate her interest in their struggle for acceptance.
Spreadsheet below: Calculation for the statistical significance of Figure 2.
Frankly, when I served on ten ships in the Navy between 1967 and 1980, there were no women on any of them. The ship's daily newspaper on the aircraft carrier USS KITTY HAWK had pictures of nude or partially clad women in it on a regular basis, just to keep us focused on what our sex organs were for when we came ashore. Even in the Coast Guard when I joined it in 1983 until as late as about 1990 it was not uncommon to walk into an office and find pictures from the centerfold of Playboy magazine posted all over the walls. Times and values were very different. I guess that by the time I retired (for good, I think) at the age of 60 in 2007, the pictures were down, and women were starting to serve - even as commanding officers of some ships. But, while homosexuals were court-martialed for most of my military career - after I retired the pendulum began to swing so far back to the left as to make heterosexuals afraid to make clear that they were normal. Obama even chose a Secretary of the Army who had one major qualification - he was an open homosexual. Indeed, those of us who were religious often encountered problems because of it. After a while we needed a scorecard just to keep track of all the forms of perversion that we were asked to accept - even when these behaviors were clearly against Biblical law for both Jews and Christians. As such, before going any further, let's define the terms we are dealing with.
DEFINITION OF TERMS.
1. Transgender. The term did not exist until 1965. By 1992, the International Conference on Transgender Law and Employment Policy defined transgender as an expansive umbrella term including "transsexuals, transgenderists, cross dressers", and anyone transitioning. Leslie Feinberg's pamphlet, "Transgender Liberation: A Movement Whose Time has Come", circulated in 1992, identified transgender as a term to unify all forms of gender nonconformity; in this way transgender has become synonymous with queer.
2. Transsexual. A person who psychologically identifies with the opposite sex and may seek to live as a member of this sex especially by undergoing surgery and hormone therapy to obtain the necessary physical appearance (as by changing the external sex organs).
3. Transvestite. Transvestites dress and acting in a style or manner traditionally associated with the opposite sex. In the Torah, this behavior is prohibited in Deuteronomy 22:5. It states:
Male garb shall not be on a woman, and a man shall not wear a woman’s garment, for anyone who does so is an abomination of the Lord.
4. Transitioning is the process of changing one's gender presentation and/or sex characteristics to accord with one's internal sense of gender identity – the idea of what it means to be a man or a woman, or genderqueer (in-between). For transgender and transsexual people, this process commonly involves reassignment therapy (which may include hormone replacement therapy and sex reassignment surgery), with their gender identity being opposite that of their birth-assigned sex and gender. Transitioning might involve medical treatment, but it does not always involve it. For genderqueer people, it is neither solely female nor male. Cross-dressers, drag queens, and drag kings tend not to transition, since their variant gender presentations are (usually) only adopted temporarily.
THE TORAH AND MILITARY PROBLEMS WITH TRANSGENDER ISSUES. The Torah prohibits adultery, incest, homosexual acts, and cross-dressing. Of these acts cross dressing is clearly a transgender behavior. Homosexual acts (but not thoughts) and adulterous acts were listed as capital crimes in Torah, but with respect to adultery, it was defined as a man having sex with another man's wife or the woman betrothed to another man. A woman could have only one husband at a time, but a man could have many - plus concubines. Polygamy was only prohibited for Jewish men starting in 1,000 C.E.
1. Transgender. If cross-dressing is not done while on duty or in a way that brings shame to our military or if it's done in jest it's probably not a major problem. However, cross-dressing can lead to promiscuous behavior. Wearing the clothes of a woman would enable a man to mingle inappropriately among women, and vice versa. In addition, for a man, simply putting on the clothes of a woman can lead him to have sinful thoughts. As an example, a man might gain access to the women's rest room or shower, see undressed women, get aroused, and then rape them. As I wrote before women were not allowed on U. S. Navy ships during deployments when I first joined the Navy. Under the new policy, by 2017 a record 16% of Navy women reassigned from ship duty to shore duty are pregnant. Just for the fiscal year 2014 alone 7.9 percent of female Marines and 6.5 percent of female sailors were victims of sexual assault, while 4.7 percent of female soldiers and 2.9 percent of female airmen were similarly abused. Thus allowing men to pose as women and access areas where they are vulnerable appears to be a bad idea, and one that the military should not condone.
2. Transsexual. There were no sex change operations done by Jews in Biblical times, but among non Jews there were, of course, eunuchs. However it was often the case that eunuchs had their procedures done or forced on them to serve the purpose of the State - such as acting as regents for under aged heirs to the throne or guardians of women in a king's harem. There is no such need in today's military and therefore there should be no need to have the military pay for such procedures. The military could pay $3.7 billion for sex change operations over the next ten years if President Trump's ban is overturned.
3. Transvestite. With respect to the prohibition against cross dressing, a Chabad site writes, “Since it is normally only men who serve in combat units, it is forbidden for a woman to bear arms. It is for this reason that the righteous Yael killed the Canaanite General Sisra with a tent peg rather than a sword. (Obviously, this rule is waived when needed for self-defense.) When it comes modern combat it's generally wise to have your enemy fear you. When a male soldier dresses up as a woman, such act is more likely to cause an enemy to laugh at him. An enemy that mocks or is disgusted by its opponents, as Muslim are of homosexuals, is an enemy that is more likely to feel justified to attack their opponents. Thus, transvestites, by their acts, encourage people like the Iranians to feel justified in killing any military that condones such behavior.
4. Transitioning is something again not done or mentioned in the Torah. However, if the goal of a man is to alter himself in such way as to appear to be a woman so that he can have sex with another man, the simple classification of homosexual would seem to suffice. Perhaps such a status is worse than that of a mere homosexual in that he might pair himself with a male who quite literally doesn’t know what he's getting into. Thus a normal man may marry such a person, hoping to have children when such an outcome is quite impossible. As for the military situation, if the unsuspecting male discovers that he has been taken advantage of by an "ex-male" he might respond with violence that could distract from vigilance against an enemy, thus putting his unit at risk in a combat situation. Frankly, the advantages of allowing people so unsure about themselves to serve in a combat theater seem to be far outweighed than advantage such people might offer.
In summary, President Trump has made the right call. Transgender personnel should not be recruited. As for those who are currently on active duty they should encouraged to act in accordance with their gender at birth, or not be permitted to sign up for another hitch. It would probably be appropriate to offer them a partial retirement for leaving the service early, especially if they have served in combat.